<body> your title

Sunday, 21 October 2007
1920s Flapper


I must confess that I know very little, if anything at all, about fashion history. But I was watching the school play on friday night, and I absolutely loved the flapper-style dresses. In the 1920s the rise of the flappers was somewhat of a rebellion. There were drastic changes in women's clothing and their hair. Waist-lines dropped to the hips, hems started to rise, dresses became more shapeless and fringed. Long pearls, the cloche and feathered headdresses became popular. Hair was cut extremely short. It's often described as the girls wanting to be more like the boys. Girls even started to smoke, which was unheard of before.


This made me cast my mind back to the Met Costume Institute Gala earlier in the year, where there were some flapper influences. I love the shape and colour of Zani Guelmann's dress. Kate Bosworth was supporting the flapper hair which I actually quite liked. Kirsten Dunst's outfit came under much debate but I personally loved it.


Which brings me on to Kate Moss. Do we ever stop talking about her? Supporting her new fringe, she turned up at Fashion Rocks in a stunning flapper-esque dress which was inspired by a vintage dress in her own collection that she was wearing when she first met Johnny Depp. Created with Topshop it is apparently worth about £40,000 and decorated with 60,000 Swarovski crystal beads. It is on auction at the moment on Ebay, with all the proceeds going to the Prince's Trust. At the moment, bidding is at £5,500.

I don't know about you, but I definitely don't have that sort of money lying about. But I am quite inspired by this period, and may go searching on for flapper style dresses and accessories.

pic credits: style.com


Emsie @ 10/21/2007 11:48:00 am | Post a Comment