<body> your title

Saturday, 28 April 2007
Accessories Watch: Scarf

Whilst walking around my local town, you can't fail to escape the shemagh/keffiyah/Palestinian scarves around. And I'm sure it's the same all around the country. I was going to get one, but it's now overdone, and no longer a unique statement. It's not style if everyone is wearing the same thing.

The scarf in the middle is from Urban Outfitters, and is available in a few different colours. Actually, I read somewhere that Urban Outfitters dropped the keffiyah due to complaints. The shemagh scarves are worn by Muslim men and are traditionally black and white, or red and white. Also, apparently they were being marketed as "peace" scarves whereas people believe that the keffiyah is a symbol of violence. [source] Well, it doesn't seem the case in the UK, because they're still available to buy on the website.

However, whilst reading Nitro:Licious I came across this Balenciaga scarf (top left) and loved the style of it. I thought the coins on the trimmings were a great touch. Also, whilst in Topshop, I fell in love with the star scarf (top right). I think they're great alternatives to the shemagh.

From Left to Right:
Scarf - from Balenciaga
Coloured Shemagh Scarf - £18 from Urban Outfitters
Cotton Foil Star Scarf - £15 from Topshop


Emsie @ 4/28/2007 11:28:00 am | Post a Comment